Monday, January 28, 2008

New anchors selected for FAMU TV-20’s Live at Five Newscast


Four new anchors and an alternate have been selected for Florida A&M University TV-20’s Live at Five Newscast. The news anchors are Ashley Carnegie, a senior broadcast journalism student from Bradenton, Fla., and Brittney Terrell, a senior broadcast journalism student from Atlanta, Ga.

The live newscast will air at 5 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, and “Week in Review” featuring students in the advanced TV news class will air on FAMU-TV 20 at
7 p.m. on Fridays.

“My position as one of the main news anchors is important to me because it gives me a chance to challenge myself, be creative, and report news that will be beneficial to people,” said Terrell. “I know that if I do the work I love and it completes me, the rest will come.”

Oldine Monestine, a senior broadcast journalism student from Miami, was selected as an alternate anchor.

“This symbolizes the start of my journey to success,” Monestine said. “Television has power as many people are influenced by what they see and hear. If I can utilize that power to make people care about important issues, real issues, factual issues, then my purpose in life will be fulfilled. My ultimate dream is to be the face of Caribbean television where I can help people of Caribbean descent, especially Haitians, receive pertinent news that is relevant to them.”

Senita McRae, a senior broadcast student from Atlanta, will be the weather anchor. Alexis Blackwell, a senior broadcast student from Fayetteville, Ga., will serve as the sports anchor.

Broadcast journalism students this semester also will debut a news magazine show entitled “Paradigm” under the direction of Kenneth Jones, an associate professor and award-winning filmmaker.

“It’s a more in-depth, investigative show about news issues including the Florida Presidential Primary on January 29,” said Jones.

The show’s producer is Brent Hatchett, a broadcast journalism student from Detroit. FAMU student anchors for the show will be Driadonna Roland, a broadcast journalism student from Detroit, Maya Franklin, a broadcast journalism student from Denver, CO., Maria Osler, a broadcast journalism student from Ypislanti,
MI, and Monique Mitchell, a broadcast journalism student from Miami.

FAMU-TV 20 is an educational access channel operated by FAMU’s School of Journalism and Graphic Communication. It reaches more than 80,000 households via Comcast.

No comments: